Wednesday 13 October 2010

Ed's First PMQs

Today's Prime Minister's Questions session (PMQs) is the first with Ed Miliband as the leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition - or at least that's what they are supposed to be, loyal I mean. I have my doubts about that...

Anyway, he will be facing (and questioning) David Cameron. I wonder what he will choose as topics? Obviously the higher education tuition fees, for England only, will feature heavily; though it should be noted that what has hit the news this week has come from a review that the previous Labour government commissioned, after having introduced tuition fees in the first place.

Also, there is some good news in what the Coalition is proposing, such as raising the threshold for repayment from £15,000 to (I believe the figure is) £21,500.

Hopefully, Ed-M will make today's session more interesting than that by also tackling at least one other subject. After all, he does have (up to) six questions, and it isn't as if he has had an easy time of it on this issue at his first Shadow Cabinet meeting recently.

When the boot was on the other foot for Cameron, and he was in opposition, he generally asked questions of Blair or Brown on at least two different issues, though there were a few exceptions among those scores of encounters.

I shall be monitoring the Guido Live Blog of PMQs as I usually do, though I don't participate in that event myself. I expect to report on how it went and provide links to others' appraisals during the afternoon.

In the meantime are thirty facts about PMQs and its history that you might not have known. I knew of a few, recalled a couple more, and learned some new stuff into the bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment